RFR: 8303040: linux PPC64le: Implementation of Foreign Function & Memory API (Preview) [v22]

Richard Reingruber rrich at openjdk.org
Wed May 10 13:27:33 UTC 2023

On Wed, 10 May 2023 13:07:35 GMT, Jorn Vernee <jvernee at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> Interesting. I have no idea why. It does the same but with a more complicated API.
>> I just noticed that other platforms use `NONZERO`. I think I should at least add that.
>
>> It does the same but with a more complicated API.
>
> AFAIK It depends on the GC that's being used. `access_load_at` will make sure the right GC barriers are inserted (mostly for concurrent GCs).

As I see it, the access API is an abstraction to be used instead of raw loads. It hides details. See for instance `TemplateTable::getfield_or_static` on x86 where it is also used. PPC lags behind in making use of the access API.
With a fancy new GC the oop in nep_reg could be stale, requiring some processing which would be taken care of by using the access API.