RFR: 8305898: Alternative self-forwarding mechanism [v10]

Roman Kennke rkennke at openjdk.org
Wed May 10 20:30:04 UTC 2023

> Currently, the Serial, Parallel and G1 GCs store a pointer to self into object headers, when compaction fails, to indicate that the object has been looked at, but failed compaction into to-space. This is problematic for compact object headers ([JDK-8294992](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8294992)) because it would (temporarily) over-write the crucial class information, which we need for heap parsing. I would like to propose an alternative: use the bit #3 (previously biased-locking bit) to indicate that an object is 'self-forwarded'. That preserves the crucial class information in the upper bits of the header until the full header gets restored.

Roman Kennke has updated the pull request incrementally with two additional commits since the last revision:

 - Merge branch 'JDK-8305896' into JDK-8305898
 - Align fake-heap without GCC warnings (duh)

Changes:
  - all: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13779/files
  - new: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/13779/files/39c33727..02297920

Webrevs: