RFR: 8303040: linux PPC64le: Implementation of Foreign Function & Memory API (Preview) [v22]

Martin Doerr mdoerr at openjdk.org
Wed May 10 22:32:55 UTC 2023

On Wed, 10 May 2023 14:26:54 GMT, Jorn Vernee <jvernee at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> FWIW, since Shenandoah changed their load barriers we have been cleaning away the usages of the Access API for loads and stores to primitive values. There's no such support in the C++ Runtime code.
>
> Ok, since this is loading a `long` (which represents an address that points into the code cache) I think we're fine without using the access API then?

Correct. The code had been written for the previous version of Shenandoah (1.0). No current GC uses barriers for non-oop types and the C++ Runtime doesn't support it any more as Stefan pointed out.
It is still possible to use the access API on other platforms, but it does nothing more than a plain load/store for non-oop types.