RFR: 8286597: Implement PollerProvider on AIX [v9]

Tyler Steele tsteele at openjdk.org
Fri May 19 23:57:52 UTC 2023

On Fri, 19 May 2023 22:49:39 GMT, Martin Doerr <mdoerr at openjdk.org> wrote:

> Are there alternatives like using alloca?

Cool suggestion! I actually hadn't heard of it before. I am still not totally sure how it's different from just using local variables which should be on the stack anyway. From a quick man-page search it looks viable to do this here.

Another possibility: I could use Option 2, but not use such a large value for MAX_FDS. The max we choose just dictates how many results are returned by each call to pollset_poll. Any fds not returned in one call should just be returned the next call, and the poll loop is constantly making poll calls.

Some quick testing suggests that pollset does a pretty good job of returning unseen events first. Polling a set of 8 files that could all be read with a pollset size of 1, I saw 8 unique fds.

So, I'm leaning towards Option 2 with MAX_FDS of ~16. Does that seems like a reasonable compromise?