RFR: 8309210: Extend VM Operations hs_err logging

Stefan Karlsson stefank at openjdk.org
Wed May 31 14:42:13 UTC 2023

We have a section in the hs_err file, which prints the most recently run VM operations. Sometimes a VM operation type is used from multiple places in our code and it's not obvious why the VM operation was run. For example, HandshakeAllThreads doesn't tell us why we are running the handshake. I propose that we add an option for the VM operations to tell more about why they are used.

The proposed patch enhances the Handshake VM operation and the ZGC pause VM Operations.

Commit messages:
 - 8309210: Extend VM Operations hs_err logging

Changes: https://git.openjdk.org/jdk/pull/14248/files
 Webrev: https://webrevs.openjdk.org/?repo=jdk&pr=14248&range=00
  Issue: https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8309210
  Fetch: git fetch https://git.openjdk.org/jdk.git pull/14248/head:pull/14248