RFR: 8309171: Test vmTestbase/nsk/jvmti/scenarios/jni_interception/JI05/ji05t001/TestDescription.java fails after JDK-8308341

David Holmes dholmes at openjdk.org
Wed May 31 21:16:17 UTC 2023

On Wed, 31 May 2023 17:00:32 GMT, Daniel D. Daugherty <dcubed at openjdk.org> wrote:

>> The fix for [JDK-8308341](https://bugs.openjdk.org/browse/JDK-8308341) overlooked the fact that during VM initialization agents can run and create native threads that will attach to (and potentially detach from) the VM. The check that VM init was complete before allowing those operations was too strong and has to be reverted. All the guards, except for that of GetCreatedJavaVMs itself, is reverted to the way it was before JDK-8308341.
>>
>> Testing: tiers 1-4 (in progress)
>>
>> Thanks.
>
> vmTestbase/nsk/jvmti/scenarios/jni_interception/JI05/ji05t001/TestDescription.java
> has been ProblemListed. Please update this PR and restore the previous entry for
> vmTestbase/nsk/jvmti/scenarios/jni_interception/JI05/ji05t001/TestDescription.java
> before integrating this fix.
>
> The previous entry looked like this:
>
> vmTestbase/nsk/jvmti/scenarios/jni_interception/JI05/ji05t001/TestDescription.java 8219652 aix-ppc64

Thanks for the reviews @dcubed-ojdk  and @gerard-ziemski !

I have address the indentation issue and removed the recently added ProblemList entry.

@AlanBateman perhaps we should look further at the "live phase" but I don't think this is inherently tied to JVMTI. In theory the core libs could create a native thread that wants to attach during VM init. Either way I'm reluctant to introduce any change in behaviour other than that which was needed to fix the GetCreatedJavaVMs related crash. But I can file a RFE to look at this.