RFR: 8308341: JNI_GetCreatedJavaVMs returns a partially initialized JVM [v2]

David Holmes dholmes at openjdk.org
Wed May 31 23:05:19 UTC 2023

On Wed, 31 May 2023 15:27:51 GMT, Gerard Ziemski <gziemski at openjdk.org> wrote:

> You have chosen to use an OS independent mechanism, at the cost of exposing the implementation to the outside world, by introducing a new stage (needs CSR).

That is not an accurate characterisation of this change. The CSR request is needed because of the change in behaviour it introduces (by only returning a fully initialized VM), and has nothing at all to do with the implementation. We still need to be able to distinguish when VM creation has started (to prevent concurrent attempt) and when it has completed (so GetCreatedJavaVMs can return  a valid VM) - the mechanism by which that is achieved is immaterial.