GCOverheadLimit does not work ?

Jon Masamitsu Jon.Masamitsu at Sun.COM
Mon Jun 9 16:08:27 UTC 2008

David,

There is a bug somewhere here that relates to the GCOverheadLimit.
I think the problem is that the survivor spaces are not being
used and the survivor space is large enough so that the
calculation of the amount of free space in the heap is > 2%.
The survivor spaces are not being used because only full
collections are being done later in the run and the survivor
spaces are used for minor (young generation) collections.  Though
the description of the GCOverheadLimit refers to  the amount
of the heap collected, it really should just say that amount of
free space in the heap.  That's a bug in the specification for
the parameter.  I'm not sure that an out-of-memory should
be thrown if there is 2% of the heap free - that's in keeping
with trying to minimize the false positives resulting from this
feature.

Jon