Breadth-first vs. Depth-first

Tony Printezis tony.printezis at sun.com
Tue Jun 10 18:07:07 UTC 2008

Martin,

Martin Buchholz wrote:
> Tony,
>
> Thanks for the reply.
>
> I continue to see parallels between code hotspots and data hotspots.
> In both cases there are few opportunities to rectify previous bad
> decisions.
Yes, but in the case of code generation, recompiling a method can be
(generally) done in a quite low-overhead manner. However, re-arranging
the location of objects is much much more intrusive.
>  There is no way to declare that the initialization phase of
> the application is over, and the "money phase" is starting.

Maybe, there should be?
> Identifying code hotspots pays off better, because code inlining
> may give rise to further optimizations, unlike data colocation.
>
> I imagine that data colocation will increase in value over time,
> with memory access becoming a more important part of
> application performance.

I totally agree with this.
> I wonder why they y'all never seem to use a technique from the
> AOT compiler world - provide a profiling mode to allow users
> to run the app in for a "typical" run, then use that profiling
> information in future runs.

I've never been enamored with the idea, I have to say. I just don't know
how willing customers will be to do training runs. And remember to redo
the training runs when their code changes. And do the training run with
a realistic input ("Hey, your GC sucks. I did a training run with a 1MB
DB input and when I loaded 50GB, the application went slower." Well,
yeah....).

Given that some of our customers are lurking here, I'd love to hear from
them on this, actually...

Tony