JVM options to get full visibility on generation behavior and GC loganalysis tools.

Jon Masamitsu Jon.Masamitsu at Sun.COM
Mon Jun 23 14:00:39 UTC 2008

You can find source for a tool called GChisto at

https://gchisto.dev.java.net/

It's open source.  It parses PrintGCDetails output
but if you turn on flags which cause printing to be
interspersed with the PrintGCDetails output, it may
or may not work.

Regarding PrintHeapAtGC output at the end of a CMS
collection, it's not there probably as a matter of the
format of the output.  The PrintHeapAtGC includes the
"top" of a generation where "top" is the next
space in a generation to be allocated.  CMS is a non
moving collector (i.e., it maintains its free space
in free lists) so there is in general no "top".