Howto keep track of GC, without letting the monitored object die?

Clemens Eisserer linuxhippy at gmail.com
Wed Mar 25 16:28:27 UTC 2009

Hi Tony,

> You can use WeakReferences. Have a look at this article:
>
> http://java.sun.com/developer/technicalArticles/javase/finalization/
>
> In particular, the An Alternative To Finalization section.

I don't see how. In my example I rely on the behaviour that I can add
a strong reference to the SharedObject when the finalizer runs,
therefor letting it survive the GC.

As far as I understand, with WeakReferences I could get a notification
that the object was reclaimed but once I get the notification, the
SharedObject as well as the monitorObject would both be gone already.

Thanks, Clemens