performance impact of JNI GetCritical*

Michael Bien mbien at fh-landshut.de
Sun Mar 7 00:57:55 UTC 2010

Hello,

I have a few performance/best practice related questions regarding
heap<->C data transfers and GC implications.

How optimized are the Get/ReleasePrimitiveArrayCritical JNI functions?
Do they disable GC or do they only pin the array at the specific address?

If they would disable the GC until release, i suppose this would have
pretty severe impact esp for concurrent GCs.

Could you recommend best practices?
lets say I have a short java array of length 12. Should I copy it to a
direct NIO buffer and use the buffer as vehicle, use Get/ReleaseCritical
or something else?

best regards,

--
Michael Bien