Free ratio based heap shrinking in the parallel collector

Jon Masamitsu Jon.Masamitsu at Sun.COM
Tue Mar 16 22:38:50 UTC 2010

Hiroshi,

The goal of UseAdaptiveSizePolicy with regard to performance is
to size the generations so as to achieve the throughput goal.
GC cost is reduced by reducing the frequency of collections
and that is achieved by more free space in the generations
(more space for more allocations before the next GC).

I can see how a user might want to limit the footprint.  Without
your change I would tell the user to reduce the throughput goal.
Not a particularly friendly interface to limit footprint I'll
admit.

There is a method

PSAdaptiveSizePolicy::adjust_for_throughput()

which is called to calculate the amount that the heap
should grow in order to achieve a throughput goal.
If that method said not to increase the heap based
on the value of MaxHeapFreeRatio is that close to
what you want?  It's not the same but it would be
a way of limiting the growth of the heap (stops
growing the heap when the free space after the collection
exceeds a threshold).  I think it would fit in more
easily with the rest of UseAdativeSizePolicy.  I think
it would be easier to explain too.

Jon