Fwd: how to know jvm is stopping the world?

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Mon Dec 12 13:57:38 UTC 2011

But suppose you had this feature and the VM tells you that it's not doing
(or doesn't have any pending) full gc.  Your load balancer then sends the
request to that server - what happens if the processing of this request
triggers a full gc? I just don't think there's a comprehensive solution
here since you'd still run the risk of having a STW pause amidst request
processing.

As for jmx notifications on heap usage it's still just a guess in terms of
what that actually means - the gc that follows may be concurrent (not STW)
or there may not be a gc at all if the mem allocations aren't high enough.

I agree with Krystal that it makes most sense in tuning the GC + checking
your own code to make sure it plays well with the GC algorithm that you're
using (I.e. CMS).