RFR (S): 7117303: VM uses non-monotonic time source and complains that it is non-monotonic

David Holmes david.holmes at oracle.com
Tue Dec 13 05:28:44 UTC 2011

On 13/12/2011 6:06 AM, John Cuthbertson wrote:
> Thanks for looking at the code changes and for the suggestions.
>
> Extending the os API is a good idea. Not sure about the name though -
> how about: javaMonotonicTimeMillis? Also I believe os_solaris.cpp
> already has an internal monotonic version of javaTimeMillis() so there
> are alternatives to using javaTimeNanos() in the implementation.

I'm somewhat opposed to extending the API simply because there are
already too many time functions. What about a TO_MILLIS macro?

#define TO_MILLIS(nanos) ((nanos)/NANOS_PER_MILLISEC

jlong start = TO_MILLIS(javaTimeNanos());

BTW the "java" in javaTimeMillis and javaTimeNanos identifies these
methods as being part of the Java API (System.currentTimeMillis and
System.nanoTime respectively) - so javaMonotonicTimeMillis would not be
appropriate.

John: you have a recurrent typo in the comments: monton instead of
monoton (and I mistyped it myself writing that!)

> Thanks for the heads up about the other CR. I'll check.

See 4741166. It wanted to make javaTimeMillis monotonic, which it can
not be. Pretty much all internal uses of javaTimeMillis (those not part
of implementing System.currentTimeMillis()) should really be using a
monotonic time source.

David
-----