RFR(S): 7120038: G1: ParallelGCThreads==0 is broken

John Cuthbertson john.cuthbertson at oracle.com
Tue Dec 13 19:41:27 UTC 2011

Hi Vladimir,

The JVM currently allows the flag. When specified, the VM thread (only)
executes the GC code during STW GCs - including code that would normally
be executed by the parallel worker threads. This is slightly different
from when -XX:ParallelGCThreads=1- which creates a single GC worker
thread; this single worker executes the parallel code. I have found that
specifying PGCT=0 has been useful during bug triaging.

JohnC