RFR(S): 7121547: G1: High number mispredicted branches while iterating over the marking bitmap

Tony Printezis tony.printezis at oracle.com
Wed Dec 21 10:21:05 UTC 2011

John,

Please update the copyright year in bitMap.inline.hpp.

Stylistic issues:

   31 inline bool CMBitMapRO::iterate(BitMapClosure* cl, MemRegion mr) {
   32   HeapWord* left  = MAX2(_bmStartWord, mr.start());
   33   HeapWord* right = MIN2(_bmStartWord + _bmWordSize, mr.end());

   55 inline bool CMBitMapRO::iterate(BitMapClosure* cl) {
   56   MemRegion mr(startWord(), sizeInWords());

Could you use in both cases either startWord() / sizeInWords() or
_bmStartWord / _bmWordSize to be consistent? I had to go and check that
the two were the same.

Also, instead of left / right and start / end can you maybe use
start_addr / end_addr and start_index / end_index to make the code a bit
clearer?

Regarding the weakening of the assert: I wonder why we haven't come
across it before. I can only assume that so far iterations that have
used this method have only given ranges that were aligned on bitmap word
boundaries (if I understand correctly what the issue is!)? Can you maybe
tighten it up a bit? I.e., if r_offset is bitmap word aligned ->
res_offset < r_offset, otherwise -> res_offset < size()?

Did analyzer show whether do_bit() is now getting inlined?

Tony