Request for review (S): 7005808 G1: re-enable ReduceInitialCardMarks for G1

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Tue Oct 4 12:47:08 UTC 2011

Ramki,

On 2011-09-29 10:05, Ramki Ramakrishna wrote:
> Looks good to me too. Apropos of a comment in one of the CR's in the
> trail,
> would it also be worthwhile to run a test with OpenDS?

I finally got OpenDS up and running on a Linux x64 machine. I ran a two
hour run, which corresponded to 116 iterations. Then I repeated that
procedure, so in total I have run 232 iterations of OpenDS without
seeing any issues. I have not looked closely at the results (don't
really know what to look for), but the harness has not complained about
any crashes or hangs and I have not found any hs_err files.

Is this enough OpenDS testing?

If yes, then I will push this change as soon as hotspot-gc opens for
hs23 stuff for G1.

Thanks,
Bengt

> -- ramki
>
> On 9/28/2011 6:42 AM, Jon Masamitsu wrote:
>> Looks good.
>>
>> On 09/28/11 05:00, Bengt Rutisson wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Could I have a couple of reviews for this small change?
>>>
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/7005808/webrev/
>>>
>>> The code change is very small. I am just enabling the
>>> ReduceInitialCardMarks by default for G1. The ReduceInitialCardMarks
>>> was disabled since it caused some stability issues. The theory is
>>> that those issues arose from the fact that there were bugs that
>>> would allocate new objects outside the young gen. These bugs have
>>> now been fixed and we should be able to use ReduceInitialCardMarks
>>> again.
>>>
>>> Most of the work on this fix has been going in to testing it. I have
>>> run the following tests:
>>>
>>> 2 x RefWorkload
>>> 1 x Full GC test suite
>>> 7 x GC test suite Dacapo2006