CRR (XS): 7098085: G1: partially-young GCs not initiated under certain circumstances

Ramki Ramakrishna y.s.ramakrishna at oracle.com
Wed Oct 5 23:48:39 UTC 2011

Hi Tony --

The changes look good.

On a side note, was the removal of the bit map clearing a different bug fix,
or is it somehow related to the issue described in the CR?
I can see that it is unnecessary and may be even wasteful,
but it seemed to me to be unrelated to the issue described in the CR,
unless I am missing something here.

As a related (but otherwise orthogonal) matter, it appears as though the
idiom:-

    _sts.join();
    do_something();
    do_something_else();
   _sts_leave();

might gain from the usual constructor/destructor idiom used
elsewhere for code that wants to synchronize with other
parts of the system (in this case safepoints). For example:

   {
      SynchronizeWithSafepoints ss();     // or appropriate other name [1]
      do_something();
      do_something_else();
   }

[1] you will have to invent a suitable other name, perhaps
DesynchronizeWithSafepoints
for when you do the reverse, i.e. perform an action outside of the _sts,
as happens
when you are doing those synch barriers amongst the concurrent marking
threads in case of overflow and restart.

The benefit is that the extra scopes help clearly demarcate
the code that wants to be in the "critical section", if you
will, wrt safepoints that will want to synchronize wrt these
actions.

(As far as I can tell all invocations of join/leave or stsJoin/stsLeave
are paired and can become block-structured.)

The c'tor/d'tor idiom change is of course orthogonal to yr changes
and would likely want to be a separate CR, if you agree that this
may be another clean-up worth doing.

Otherwise looks good.
-- ramki