CRR (XS): 7098085: G1: partially-young GCs not initiated under certain circumstances

Tony Printezis tony.printezis at oracle.com
Thu Oct 6 18:23:00 UTC 2011

Hi again,

Disclaimer: John and I IMed behind your backs. :-)

Y. S. Ramakrishna wrote:
> I think the "notice" / "ignore" here would be slightly different
> and use of the similar terminology may possibly cause some confusion.
> AllowSafepoints / DisallowSafepoints would perhaps be closer to what
> one is
> doing in this specific case.

Well, if I can be a bit picky too :-), DisallowSafepoints is not totally
true either given that the thread can allow safepoints to happen but it
has to do so explicitly with a yield call.

How about (and it'd be obvious that I resorted in consulting a thesaurus):

RegulateSafepoints and IgnoreSafepoints

Both are descriptive in what the thread will do.

> If AllowSafepoints / DisallowSafepoints is not favoured, perhaps
> something like SafepointLocker/Unlocker terminology in analogy to
> MutexLocker/Unlocker
> might be acceptable to people here because admission to the set
> actually does lockout safepoints until the members of the set
> cooperatively
> allow the safepoint because of "yield"s etc.

I'll be OK with SafepointLocker / Unlocker even though I think it's less
descriptive than Regulate / Ignore.

> Tony, I agree that MutexLocker/Unlocker exposes the fact that there's
> a lock,
> but that's a historical artifact of mutual exlcusion and critical
> sections
> having evolved primarily as mutexes in most of computer science and
> systems history. Thus readers closely associate one with the other.
> In fact "mutex" is after all "mutual exclusion" (which is a high level
> concept independent of the mechanism of "locks" used for it).

Indeed, and point taken.

> Having said that, I agree with Tony that there are pros and cons in
> both cases
> and may be mentioning safepoints makes it too high level and abstract
> and in fact we do want the mention of suspendible thread sets, the
> underlying
> mechanism.
>
> So, having aired some of these thoughts, I'll go with whatever you
> folks decide sounds best here.

As always, thanks for the feedback!

Tony