Request for review (S): 7097516 G1: assert(0<= from_card && from_card<HeapRegion::CardsPerRegion) failed: Must be in range.

Stefan Karlsson stefan.karlsson at oracle.com
Fri Oct 21 11:12:05 UTC 2011

On 10/21/2011 12:47 PM, Tony Printezis wrote:

> On 10/20/2011 04:31 PM, Stefan Karlsson wrote:
>> I understand how reusing capacity(), used(), etc. could have made
>> parts of the G1 code easier to write. Is it worth it, though?
>
> ...compared to what?

Compared to breaking the abstraction of a space and having this
unintuitive code that was the cause of this bug?

> Always checking whether a region is humongous or not? Absolutely.

I looked for places where we used the capacity() function, and found
only places where we do explicit checks for humongous regions.

> This is something that's worked out nicely in G1 so far.

Could you be more specific? I'm just asking since we had a bug because
of this implementation.

> The only aspect of this I'd change would be for the region iterators
> to skip continues humongous regions, given that we filter them out
> most of the time anyway.
>
>> Could you point me to some of the usages in G1 where we rely on
>> capacity(), used(), etc. to report the "extended" range of Start
>> Humonguos regions?
>
> Look at when we add a region to one of the heap region sets. We do
> check whether it's humongous or not but that's to calculate the number
> of regions it spans. In fact, maybe we'd be better off just
> calculating that as capacity() / RegionSize and skip the test. In
> fact, this is a nice example of how this approach simplifies the code.

Are you talking about, for example:
HeapRegionSetBase::calculate_region_num, and that all call paths to it
does something like:
   if (!hr->isHumongous()) {
     _calc_region_num         += 1;
   } else {
     _calc_region_num         += calculate_region_num(hr);
   }

I don't agree that that would simplify the code. Yes, maybe shrink the
number of lines but not lower the complexity, IMHO.

StefanK