CRR (re-opened / M): 7075646: G1: fix inconsistencies in the monitoring data

Tony Printezis tony.printezis at oracle.com
Fri Sep 23 15:19:58 UTC 2011

Bengt,

On 9/22/2011 4:57 PM, Bengt Rutisson wrote:
> Looks good. Thanks for addressing my comments so quickly. Ship it! :-)

And thanks for all the helpful feedback!

>> Due to popular demand :-) I changed the #define for the undefined max
>> for the G1 memory pools to a static const.
>
> I like it! Thanks!
>
> Finally, a comment regarding the almost empty super classes
> G1MemoryPoolSuper and G1GenerationCounters. I see your point about
> collecting the instance variable for the G1MonitoringSupport instance
> in a super class, but I don't agree that having an extra super class
> "does not cost us anything". It might not cost us any performance, but
> it does cost us in code complexity and speed of figuring call
> hierarchies out.

Normally, yes. And it is true that some of our class hierarchies are way
too convoluted and actually counter-productive. But, in this case, the
extra overhead from that is minimal! Oh, and now there's of course a
second field in G1MemoryPoolSuper. ;-)

> Clearly there is no right or wrong here. Just a matter of balancing
> different code quality values against each other. So, I am fine with
> leaving these extra super classes in.

OK.

Tony