Request for review (S): 7166894 Add gc cause to Full GC logging for all collectors

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Mon May 7 12:31:48 UTC 2012

Hi all,

Can I get a couple of reviews of this simple change:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~brutisso/7166894/webrev/

Background:
I recently pushed a similar fix for G1 as "7163848: G1: Log GC Cause for
a GC". That fix adds the GC cause information to all G1 GCs. It was
discussed if we should do this for all collectors and we came to the
conclusion that it would be fairly safe to do it for all Full GCs. These
log messages already contain the text "(System)" or "(System.gc())" when
a System.gc() happens and PrintGCDetails are enabled. Now they will
always contain the cause in parenthesis, even when only PrintGC is
enabled. Hopefully most parsing will work with this.

Thanks,
Bengt