sample_eden()

Hiroshi Yamauchi yamauchi at google.com
Fri Aug 9 20:48:29 UTC 2013

Jon,

Sorry for a late response.

Your explanation of what's happening sounds plausible to me.

I took a look at

  http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jmasa/8021809

which I assume is related to this issue. Here's a thought: perhaps
since work_on_young_gen_roots() also reads an (incorrect)
_eden_chunk_index, it should also have a similar check to the one in
initialize_sequential_subtasks_for_young_gen_rescan()?

Here's another thought: how about resetting _eden_chunk_index to zero
at the end of Def/ParNewGeneration::collect()? This way, it'd be the
young generation that initiates both updating (via
sample_eden_chunk()) and resetting of _eden_chunk_index. This might
make sense.

Hiroshi