RFR: 7164841: Improvements to the GC log file rotation

Yumin Qi yumin.qi at oracle.com
Mon Aug 19 20:49:03 UTC 2013

On 8/19/2013 1:20 PM, STIRLING, SCOTT wrote:
> Question about ".current" log: When a JVM re-starts with these args, would it check for existing .current and append to it or just overwrite .current? Needs to append or else the current file contents get blown away.
With the new schema, the file will contain time stamp so the original
files are never overwrite.

> Regarding:
>> Time stamp is the start of first rotation file created, and all
>> rotation files share the same time stamp in file name.
> I would only tweak it so that the time stamp on all rotation files is set to the time at which each file is created.
>
> The bug seems to suggest that (to my interpretation) and that would fit with other common log formatting for things like apache.
>
>  From http://bugs.sun.com/bugdatabase/view_bug.do?bug_id=6950794:
> " In this case, the date stamp would correspond to the creation time of each log segment."
This will make the rotation logic more complex --- it will not rotate in
files, it just create a new file (since timestamp will make file name
different), and only the number in file names changes, and the number
of  files always grows. This is not the our intended purpose.  The
rotation is to limit space usage in disk.

By using the same start time in file name, this clearly gives that those
logs are in a group which started from " the time". The file time stamps
will be different since they are the time when they are created.

Thanks
Yumin