ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrentAndUnloadsClasses leaks PermGen

Tony Printezis tprintezis at twitter.com
Tue Aug 27 12:20:15 UTC 2013

Jungwoo,

A STW Full GC will look at the entire heap and find everything that's
unreachable at that particular time. A CMS cycle will only look at the
old gen (and that incrementally, so some objects that become unreachable
during the cycle might not be collected) and, as Mikael pointed out,
also assume everything in the young gen is live (including objects that
might not be). You really need to do a few cycles and maybe do some
dummy allocations for a while to make sure that all weak refs that you
are interested have been correctly processed by CMS.

General take-away from this: writing such tests is a royal PITA.

Tony

--
Tony Printezis | Staff Software Engineer | Twitter

@TonyPrintezis
tprintezis at twitter.com