RFR (M/L): 8010722 assert: failed: heap size is too big for compressed oops

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Thu Aug 29 14:13:57 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Thu, 2013-08-29 at 15:36 +0200, Bengt Rutisson wrote:

> Hi Thomas,
>
> Thanks for fixing this! Overall it looks good.
>
> Some minor comments:
>
> The comment on line 155 in the new version of  collectorPolicy.cpp
> should probably start with a capital T:
>
> 155   // there
>
> universe.cpp
> The format for the err_msg should use SIZE_FORMAT instead of %zd.

All fixed.

> It would be nice if the #ifdefs in
> Arguments::set_largest_max_heap_alignment() could be cleaned up
> somehow. I don't have a really good suggestion, just thought it would
> be good to try to see if it can be improved somehow.

I do not know a better way either. At this point of initialization we do
not have heap/collector policy instances which would hide the call to
via overriding.

> The test case seems to be missing. Forgot to hg add it?

Yes. Sorry.

> Is the move of the calls to os::large_page_init() safe? It has some
> side effects.

I think it is okay: the side effects are the same independent of when it
is called. The method is self-containing.

New webrev at
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tschatzl/8010722/webrev.3/

with test cases this time.

Thanks a lot,