RFR: 7164841: Improvements to the GC log file rotation

Yumin Qi yumin.qi at oracle.com
Thu Aug 29 21:37:39 UTC 2013

Hi, loise

   Thanks for your review. I will send out a new webrev soon.
   For your concern, see embedded answers.

> arguments.cpp - looks good, no comments
I will add another functions, is_filename_valid, and in this functions,
check if the given filename is 'legal' function name, currently we did
not check for this.

> ostream.hpp - looks good, no comments
>
> ostream.cpp -
>
>     - Have you tried a file name that is 255 characters?  It would
> seem that after you appended the pid + timestamp + .current + # you
> could overrun this buffer?
>
>     439 #define FILENAMEBUFLEN 256
>         and subsequent use at
>     466 char tempbuf[FILENAMEBUFLEN];
>         467 jio_snprintf(tempbuf, sizeof(tempbuf), "%s.%d"
>     CURRENTAPPX, _file_name, _cur_file_num);
>
>     - I would also like to point out in line #467, there may not be a
> need for "sizeof(tempbuf)", isn't it just FILENAMEBUFLEN?
>       Please check the use of "sizeof()" in the jio_sprintf
> statements, I think all are known.
The FILENAMEBUFLEN will change to 1024 which is suffice for most of use
cases.
for using sizeof(name of char[]), this way can save time for case that
FILENAMEBUFLEN changed. Certainly, usually we don't change that.

>    - Related to my first comment.  If you have a time_msg that is
> FILENAMEBUFLEN and you try to concatenate it with a file_name that is
> FILENAMEBUFLEN + the
>      os::local_time_string, you've overrun your buffer.
>
>     493 char time_msg[FILENAMEBUFLEN];
>          494 char time_str[EXTRACHARLEN];
>          495 char current_file_name[FILENAMEBUFLEN];
>     496 char renamed_file_name[FILENAMEBUFLEN];
>          530 jio_snprintf(time_msg, sizeof(time_msg), "%s GC log file
>     has reached the"
>          531                                         " maximum size.
>     Saved as %s\n",
>          532 os::local_time_string((char *)time_str, sizeof(time_str)),
>          533 renamed_file_name);

As above mentioned, now the buffer size is 1024 bytes.

>     - Line #538 dealing with the rename of <file_name>.current.#.  I
> don't prefer the use of .current. Take for example a user
>       specified on the command line -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=5, but
> there is enough -Xloggc info generated to fit in 7 files.  This
>       situation will cause the log file rotation to rotate back on
> itself.  So, file #0 will be reopened and used as the 6th file, and
>       then the rotation will progress and finish dumping Xloggc
> information into the last file which would be <file_name>.current.1,
>       correct?  So a user would be left with the following files.
>
>                         file_name.0 (which now has a later timestamp
> in its name than file # 1 thru 4)
>                         file_name.1
>                         file_name.2
>                         file_name.3
>                         file_name.4
>                         file_name.current.1
>
>       I find this confusing, would you consider having the -Xloggc
> information be dumped into the current #'ed file directly?

The current design is like this:
If rotate in same file, that is the file given by -Xloggc:<filename>,
the file name will be extended according to '%p" and '%t'.
If rotate in multiple files, user need to quickly identify which one is
the current file, so this is why I append .current to the file name.
For example, if -XX:NumberOfGCLogFiles=5,  it will be like:
file_name.0
file_name.1.current
file_name.2
file_name.3
file_name.4

The oldest file is file_name.1 which is erased when new file
file_name.1.current created. The current logging file is the one with
.current appended so it is easily to tell. If without this appendix,
user only sees bunch of log files and not easy to spot which one is current.

>     - Line 587 FLAG_SET_DEFAULT(UseGCLogFileRotation, false);
>       I like that you implemented the idea to turn off GC log file
> rotation and continue with the current file if you can't open the next
> file, thank you.

That turned rotation off --- if the current file can grow, it will grow,
just like no rotation case; if it can not grow, VM may or may not
continue which depends on what happens.

Thanks
Yumin