Request for review (M): 8002144: G1: large number of evacuation failures may lead to large c heap memory usage

Vitaly Davidovich vitalyd at gmail.com
Fri Feb 1 16:17:51 UTC 2013

Hi Bengt,

Does the new class need to be tagged as an mtGC type? I see that array
allocation does specify mtGC but not sure if the class needs/should be
tagged (there's some template base class for that).

4218   // Now restore saved marks, if any.
4219   while (_preserved_marks.has_data()) {
4220     G1PreserveMarkQueueEntry e = _preserved_marks.remove_first();
4221     e.obj->set_mark(e.mark);

Since this is operating on itself, maybe move this into g1PreserveMarkQueue
method called mark_all() or something like that?

Also, do you need the _initial_capacity field? Seems like _current_capacity
would be enough (it should also be initialized in constructor to 0).

I'd also change Preserve to Preserved in the name as I think it's more
indicative?

Finally, would it be easier to change GrowableArray to take a growth factor
as an argument so you can use something smaller than 2?

Thanks

Sent from my phone