Request for review: 6976350 G1: deal with fragmentation while copying objects during GC

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Mon Jun 3 08:16:51 UTC 2013

Hi Tao,

On 6/2/13 6:56 AM, Tao Mao wrote:
> The new webrev is updated.
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tamao/6976350/webrev.06/

Thanks for fixing this. I think it looks better. Still have some comments:

Line 78, int const GCAllocPriorityMax = 2;

I would prefer that this was a "private static const int" inside
G1ParGCAllocBufferContainer. You could call it _priority_max to avoid
the assignment in the constructor.

I think the name select_retired_buf() is a bit confusing. The way it is
used I think the code would be more readable if we just inlined 0 in the
code.

In G1ParScanThreadState::allocate_slow() I think we might miss retiring
the alloc buffers, right?

We now call retire_and_set_buf() after we have we have tried the
allcoation. If the allocation fails I think we have to retired both
alloc buffers since both of them may have been allocated into.

I also think the name retire_and_set_buf() indicates that this method
does too much. I would prefer to have two different methods. One
retire_current_buf() that retires the current alloc buffer and probably
also shifts the buffers (what adjust_priority_order() does now) and one
that sets up a new buffer.

This will probably also be useful if we need to only retire buffers in
the allocation failure case I described above.

Thanks,
Bengt