RFR: 8033923: Use BufferingOopClosure for G1 code root scanning

Mikael Gerdin mikael.gerdin at oracle.com
Fri Feb 7 15:04:10 UTC 2014

Stefan,

On Friday 07 February 2014 14.23.16 Stefan Karlsson wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Please review this patch to use BufferingOopClosure for the code root
> scanning in G1.
>
> Webrev:
>   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~stefank/8033923/webrev.00

There is some time accounting in G1RemSet::scanRS

When you call buf_scan_non_heap_roots.done() in g1_process_strong_roots we may
miss accounting some of the time spent handling code roots from regions.

I think you need to pass down the buf_scan_non_heap_roots closure all the way
down to ScanRSClousre::scan_strong_code_roots and construct the
CodeBlobToOopClosure there to be able to call .done() before the update of
_strong_code_root_scan_time_sec.

Alternatively you may be able to add the closure application time from after
the extraction of the "object copying" data to the scan_rs phase_time after
the done()-call.

/Mikael