RFR (M): 8060697: Improve G1 Heap Growth Heuristics

Kim Barrett kim.barrett at oracle.com
Tue Dec 8 00:30:47 UTC 2015

On Dec 3, 2015, at 11:40 AM, Tom Benson <tom.benson at oracle.com> wrote:

> Updated webrevs (including the suggestions from Kim and Jon) are in:
>
>   http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tbenson/8060697/webrev.01.vs.00/    - incremental
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~tbenson/8060697/webrev.01/ - full

I'd previously overlooked the removal of the const qualifier from
G1CollectorPolicy::expansion_amount. This was done to permit some
member variables to be updated to accumulate additional information
(specifically, the fields that are reset by the new
clear_ratio_check_data). But the function name "expansion_amount"
looks to me like an accessor or compute function, and not something
that modifies the policy object.

I don't have a good alternative (either structure or naming) to offer
right now, but maybe you or someone else might think of something.  Or
maybe I'm the only one (somewhat) bothered by this.