RFR(s): 8145000: TestOptionsWithRanges.java failure for XX:+UseNUMA -XX:+UseNUMAInterleaving -XX:NUMAInterleaveGranularity=65536

Jesper Wilhelmsson jesper.wilhelmsson at oracle.com
Wed Dec 16 14:46:28 UTC 2015

Hi Sangheon,

* It seems to me that protect_pages_individually() can only be called if
UseLargePages is false. Still it looks at UseLargePages to decide page_size. I
would prefer if there was an assert(!UseLargePages) at the start of
protect_pages_individually() to emphasize that this code has not been used or
tested with large pages.

* I'm not sure if this matters, but it seems to me that if the size of the area
is not an even multiple of pages, you will start protecting the smaller part,
and then continue with page sized areas. E.g. If page size is 4k and we want to
protect a 10k area, we will start with a 2k block and then take two 4k blocks.
This has the effect that if we pass in a page aligned address, the areas we
protect will not cover one page at a time. This may be a non-issue though. It
depends on if we usually get page aligned addresses and if it matters if we
protect one page at a time or not.

* You use UINT32_FORMAT to print an uint. %u is the recommended way to print an
uint.

* if (!ret) return false;  We should always use { }

Thanks,
/Jesper