JEP 248: Make G1 the Default Garbage Collector

Kirk Pepperdine kirk at kodewerk.com
Tue Jun 2 13:53:24 UTC 2015

On Jun 2, 2015, at 2:51 PM, Vitaly Davidovich <vitalyd at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm sorry - if I'm upgrading to a new major release of anything, I'm looking at release notes and doing some sanity testing/checking.

A very sensible thing to do and it’s something that I strongly recommend people do and I show them how to do it cheaply… just a PrintFlagsFinal with a diff will do it. However…

> The real concern brought up in this thread is the miscompilation causing corruption in lucene.

I agree, but I think there are other “lucene” type cases yet to be discovered and to simply hit the general population with “lucene” type problems is irresponsible.. That, and I think it’s prudent to put more time between the “lucene” problem being fixed and victory is declared…. But that is just me.

Look guys, I don’t want to be bashing anyone’s good efforts. I think a whole lot of great work has been done to bring the G1 to the point where we can even have this discussion. That said, we want to be careful that we don’t get caught up in our own rhetoric.

Regards,
Kirk