RFR: 8081682: AbstractWorkGang::_terminate is never used

Stefan Karlsson stefan.karlsson at oracle.com
Wed Jun 3 09:31:08 UTC 2015

On 2015-06-03 10:07, Stefan Karlsson wrote:

> On 2015-06-03 01:06, Kim Barrett wrote:
>> On Jun 2, 2015, at 9:51 AM, Stefan Karlsson
>> <stefan.karlsson at oracle.com> wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Please review this patch to remove the AbstractWorkGang::_terminate
>>> variable. The work gangs are never deleted and therefore the code
>>> which sets _terminate is never executed.
>>>
>>> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~stefank/8081682/webrev.00/
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> StefanK
>> I assume the idea here is that, rather than having a (presently
>> unused) generic early stop request mechanism provided by the workgroup
>> framework, any workgroup that needs an early stop mechanism should
>> roll its own.
>
> Yes, for the time being.  If we later find a compelling reason to add
> a used, tested stop mechanism to the workgroup then we should do it.
>

>>    Are there any that already do so,
>
> One example is CMConcurrentMarkingTask.
>
>>   and could have been
>> using the generic mechanism?
>
> I don't know.

I realize that we might be talking about different stop mechanisms.
1) A stop mechanism to tear down and exit the worker threads.
2) A stop mechanism to abort the current executing task.

I'm removing the code for (1), while the CMConcurrentMarkingTask has its
own mechanism for (2).

I discussed this briefly with Per, and we probably want to reimplement
(1) and tear down all the worker threads when DestroyJavaVM is called.
However, that will be handled as a separate RFE.

StefanK