RFR 8085965: VM hangs in C2Compiler

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Thu Jun 11 01:42:59 UTC 2015

Poonam,

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~poonam/8085965/webrev/src/share/vm/gc/cms/concurrentMarkSweepGeneration.cpp.frames.html

I think it reads more easily if it is coded like this

if (!ClassUnloading) {
   _should_unload_classes = false;
} else if ((_full_gc_requested &&
ExplicitGCInvokesConcurrentAndUnloadsClasses) {
    _should_unload_classes = true
  } else if (CMSClassUnloadingEnabled) {
   // Condition 2.a above 2678
  // Disjuncts 2.b.(i,ii,iii) above
    _should_unload_classes = (concurrent_cycles_since_last_unload() >=
CMSClassUnloadingMaxInterval)
                                                  || _cmsGen->is_too_full();
  }

I might not have cut-and-pasted it right but I think you can see what I
mean.

Also fix the block comment above to say that ClassUnloading overides the
other
conditions.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~poonam/8085965/webrev/src/share/vm/runtime/arguments.cpp.frames.html

This catches the case where -Xnoclassgc is used but does not catch if
-XX:-ClassUnloading is used.  Yes?

2752     } else if (match_option(option, "-Xnoclassgc")) {
2753       FLAG_SET_CMDLINE(bool, ClassUnloading, false);
2754       FLAG_SET_CMDLINE(bool, CMSClassUnloadingEnabled, false);

Instead if you add in "share/vm/runtime/arguments.cpp" to the method

1262 void Arguments::set_cms_and_parnew_gc_flags() ;

if (!ClassUnloading) {
FLAG_SET_CMDLINE(bool, CMSClassUnloadingEnabled, false);
}

That should catch both -Xnoclassgc and -XX:-ClassUnloading

Jon