RFR (XL): JDK-8086706 Parallel Full GC for CMS

Jon Masamitsu jon.masamitsu at oracle.com
Thu Jun 11 16:05:47 UTC 2015

Jungwoo,

For a feature enhancement for jdk9 you'll need a JEP

http://openjdk.java.net/jeps/1

This is the same process that we use internally at  Oracle.
Please explain in the JEP that this is a community provided
and supported feature.  Otherwise, the testing, support,
performance, etc. teams at Oracle will want to know how
this impacts them.  I've already been asked.

On 06/10/2015 03:11 PM, Jungwoo Ha wrote:
> Code: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jwha/8086706/webrev.00
> <http://cr.openjdk.java.net/%7Ejwha/8086706/webrev.00>
>
> Here is our code for parallel full GC in CMS.
> We've enabled this by default for a long time, so it won't cause any
> crash easily.
> We see spaces for improvements in scalability, but correctness-wise it
> should be okay.
> Though I had to do some manual edit to create the patch.
>
> Please take a look and let me know.
> Jon, can you sponsor this change?

No.  I think that's premature and I also don't think
this integration should hinge just on me.  When
the integration is ready, ask for a sponsor on the
mailing lists.

Jon