RFR: JDK-8077842 - Remove the level parameter passed around in GenCollectedHeap

Jesper Wilhelmsson jesper.wilhelmsson at oracle.com
Thu Jun 11 17:04:12 UTC 2015

Mikael Gerdin skrev den 11/6/15 13:36:
> Kim,
>
> On 2015-06-10 22:12, Kim Barrett wrote:

>>> I don't think that asking a Generation for its type is necessarily bad.
>>>  From my view, level is a bad concept because it suggests that Generations
>>> can be freely reordered in the hierarchy when in fact they cannot. DefNew
>>> (and its sublcasses) must always be young and CardGeneration (and its
>>> sublcasses) must always be old.
>>>
>>> My thought was that the constructors of those classes would pass a
>>> Generation::Type to the Generation constructor and set their type through that.
>>>
>>> By doing the generation hierarchy cleanup we are moving towards a world where
>>> we most of the time know if we are dealing with an old or a young Generation
>>> object, but at some places we still need to figure out that and asking the
>>> heap for that is slightly strange to me.
>>
>> Oops, just noticed this lingering comment.
>>
>> Mikael makes a good argument here.  The key point is that the concrete
>> classes know which generation they are supposed to be.
>>
>> However, I'd prefer not exposing the tag via a generation type
>> accessor, but would still prefer is_{young,old}[_gen] predicates, just
>> moved to the generation class.  Whether these are implemented via
>> looking at information recorded in the Generation and provided by the
>> derived class at construction time, or are virtual functions
>> implemented in the derived classes, I don't think I care.  I haven't
>> audited the (current) places where these would be looked at, but it
>> seems to me that performance-critical code will likely know what kind
>> of generation it is dealing with.
>
> Ok, I think we are in agreement then. I don't really have a strong opinion on
> where the is_{young,old} predicates should go.
>
> I think this change is ready to go then.

Oh.. I thought about your comments and found myself moving the enum to
GenCollectedHeap. This is the class that knows about the young and old generations.

In some kind of object oriented way, I don't think that a generation should
(have to) know it's type, or even that there are different types of generations.

The new version is here:
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jwilhelm/8077842/webrev.06/
http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jwilhelm/8077842/webrev.06.incremental/

/Jesper