RFR 8087198: G1 card refinement: batching, sorting, joining, prefetching

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Thu Jun 18 15:58:32 UTC 2015

Hi,

  some notes about the changes: the change does not compile as is, it
does not compile without precompiled headers, or in (fast/slow)debug
mode.

The change still contains a debug printf (using non-Hotspot printf) - I
hope you did not do your benchmarking with the change you sent (That
fails compilation btw with gcc 4.8.2, i.e. the release compiler version,
on Linux).

Further, in fastdebug mode it crashes with a fatal error when running
specjbb2000 (but probably other applications too): the message is
"should not call operator new[]" somewhere in the
BufferedRefineCardTableEntryClosure constructor.

The other patch about the dynamic barrier elision also does not compile
without precompiled headers (run configure with
--disable-precompiled-headers).

We really appreciate your work, but it would be a lot less work for
us/me if suggested changes compiled out of the box.

Not sure why using Xcode (assuming you are using OS X) or gcc (if you
happened to use linux) did not complain in any of these cases.

I will answer to the other questions later.