Low-Overhead Heap Profiling

Tony Printezis tprintezis at twitter.com
Wed Jun 24 17:57:41 UTC 2015

Hi Jeremy,

Please see inline.

On June 23, 2015 at 7:22:13 PM, Jeremy Manson (jeremymanson at google.com) wrote:

I don't want the size of the TLAB, which is ergonomically adjusted, to be tied to the sampling rate.  There is no reason to do that.  I want reasonable statistical sampling of the allocations.

As I said explicitly in my e-mail, I totally agree with this. Which is why I never suggested to resize TLABs in order to vary the sampling rate. (Apologies if my e-mail was not clear.)

All this requires is a separate counter that is set to the next sampling interval, and decremented when an allocation happens, which goes into a slow path when the decrement hits 0.  Doing a subtraction and a pointer bump in allocation instead of just a pointer bump is basically free.

Maybe on intel is cheap, but maybe it’s not on other platforms that other folks care about.

Note that it has been doing an additional addition (to keep track of per thread allocation) as part of allocation since Java 7,

Interesting. I hadn’t realized that. Does that keep track of total size allocated per thread or number of allocated objects per thread? If it’s the former, why isn’t it possible to calculate that from the TLABs information?

and no one has complained.

I'm not worried about the ease of implementation here, because we've already implemented it.

Yeah, but someone will have to maintain it moving forward.

It hasn't even been hard for us to do the forward port, except when the relevant Hotspot code is significantly refactored.

We can also turn the sampling off, if we want.  We can set the sampling rate to 2^32, have the sampling code do nothing, and no one will ever notice.

You still have extra instructions in the allocation path, so it’s not turned off (i.e., you have the tax without any benefit).

In fact, we could just have the sampling code do nothing, and no one would ever notice.

Honestly, no one ever notices the overhead of the sampling, anyway.  JDK8 made it more expensive to grab a stack trace (the cost became proportional to the number of loaded classes), but we have a patch that mitigates that, which we would also be happy to upstream.

As for the other concern: my concern about *just* having the callback mechanism is that there is quite a lot you can't do from user code during an allocation, because of lack of access to JNI.

Maybe I missed something. Are the callbacks in Java? I.e., do you call them using JNI from the slow path you call directly from the allocation code?

  However, you can do pretty much anything from the VM itself.  Crucially (for us), we don't just log the stack traces, we also keep track of which are live and which aren't.  We can't do this in a callback, if the callback can't create weak refs to the object.

What we do at Google is to have two methods: one that you pass a callback to (the callback gets invoked with a StackTraceData object, as I've defined above), and another that just tells you which sampled objects are still live.  We could also add a third, which allowed a callback to set the sampling interval (basically, the VM would call it to get the integer number of bytes to be allocated before the next sample).

Would people be amenable to that?  It makes the code more complex, but, as I say, it's nice for detecting memory leaks ("Hey!  Where did that 1 GB object come from?").

Well, that 1GB object would have most likely been allocated outside a TLAB and you could have identified it by instrumenting the “outside-of-TLAB allocation path” (just saying…).

But, seriously, why didn’t you like my proposal? It can do anything your scheme can with fewer and simpler code changes. The only thing that it cannot do is to sample based on object count (i.e., every 100 objects) instead of based on object size (i.e., every 1MB of allocations). But I think doing sampling based on size is the right approach here (IMHO).

Tony

Jeremy