RFR: JDK-8086056: ParNew: auto-tune ParGCCardsPerStrideChunk

Tony Printezis tprintezis at twitter.com
Fri Jun 26 14:07:03 UTC 2015

So, my changes will be pushed to the rt repo? #Horrified ;-)

Thanks Thomas for the heads up, will do.

Tony

On June 26, 2015 at 9:37:45 AM, Thomas Schatzl (thomas.schatzl at oracle.com) wrote:

Hi Tony,

On Fri, 2015-06-26 at 09:30 -0400, Tony Printezis wrote:

[...]
> > The JEP says:
> >
> > "The range and constraints checks are done every time a flag
> > changes, as well as late in the JVM initialization routine (i.e., in
> > init_globals() after stubRoutines_init2()) at the time when all
> > flags have their final values set. We will continue to check the
> > manageable flags as long as the JVM runs."
> >
> > I haven't actively been using this myself, but I assume that the
> > constraints will be checked every time a managaeble flag is changed
> > and that the one trying to change it will get an error reported back
> > if they try to change it in an invalid way.
> >
> > I'm copying Gerard on this email. He has built this support and can
> > surely answer the details.
>
> Hi, thanks. I’ll definitely look at it and change the code
> appropriately. BTW, has the change been integrated into the hs gc repo
> yet? (I don’t see it so I assume it hasn't.)

You overlooked that a week or two ago we started to try out merging the
hs-rt and hs-gc repos to test whether doing so is beneficial in terms of
maintenance etc.

So the hs-gc repo is currently discontinued. Please rebase your changes
to hs-rt. :)

[...]
> > Finally, just a heads up. I will be on vacation for the coming three
> > weeks. I doubt that I will be able to review any new version during
> > that time. If you get reviews from others I'm perfectly fine with
> > this being pushed. Depending on how different the changes that you
> > push are compared to the versions I've reviewed I'll leave it up to
> > you to decide whether you want to list me as a reviewer or not. I'm
> > fine either way. It's not a problem to leave me out of the reviewer
> > list if you are unsure.
>
> OK, thanks for letting me know! And enjoy your time off!!!!

I will take over :)

-----

Tony Printezis | JVM/GC Engineer / VM Team | Twitter

@TonyPrintezis
tprintezis at twitter.com