RRF: JEP-271: Unified GC Logging

Bengt Rutisson bengt.rutisson at oracle.com
Mon Nov 23 15:51:17 UTC 2015

Hi David,

On 2015-11-20 18:12, David Lindholm wrote:
> Hi Bengt,
>
> This is great work. The code becomes much cleaner in many places. So
> far I have reviewed cms, g1 and parallel.
>
> However, I have some comments:
>
> First, a general comment, I would like to remove the stats tag. I
> think most of what we log is statistics, and I don't think this tag
> adds value.

I see your point and I went through all usage of the stats tag.

(gc, freelist, stats)

I removed some, but kept the ones that call "statistics" methods. I
think we can rename this in the future, but for now it seemed reasonable
to keep the "stats" tag for controlling the output from methods called
something with statistics.

(gc, stats)

I removed all usages of this except for in G1 concurrentMark.cpp where
it is again used for methods called something with statistics.

(gc, marking, stats, exit)

Removed both stats and exit from these calls.

(gc, task, stats)

Kept these since they refer to "statistics" methods.

(gc, survivor, stats)

Removed the stats tag and moved to trace level logging.

> concurrentMarkSweepGeneration.cpp:
>
> 1443, printout talks about foreground collector. I thought the
> foreground collector was gone?

The CMS foreground collector is gone, so the comment refers to that CMS
is falling back to a full GC. I think you are right that the message
could be changed now to more clearly state that. However, I would prefer
to do that as a separate change later.

> 2129, indentation.

Done.

> CMSCollector::is_cms_reachable() seems to be dead code, this could be
> removed in a separate patch.

Sent this out as a separate patch.

> CMSPhaseAccounting::wallclock_millis() seems to have a different
> implementation than before, with different functionality.

This is really pretty ugly code. After some thinking and discussion with
David we came to the conclusion that the new implementation is actually
providing the same functionality as the old one.

> CMSCollector::markFromRoots() also talks about the foreground collector.

Same as above. I'd like to change that later.

> 4058, indentation
> 4066, "Scavenge Before Remark" should probably be "Pause Scavenge
> Before Remark"
> 4166, indentation
> 4175, indentation
> 4181, indentation
> 4185, indentation

Fixed.

> concurrentMarkSweepGeneration.hpp:
>
> timerValue() has changed implementation to now return millis. Maybe
> _timer.milliSeconds() could be used instead.

Unfortunately _timer.milliSeconds() truncates the returned value, so we
loose precision. Instead I changed to that timerValue() returns the raw
elapsed counter value and then I convert it to seconds in
CMSPhaseAccounting, where it is used for a log message.

> parNewGeneration.cpp:
>
> 1184, "Queue overflow" -> "Queue Overflow"

Fixed.

> collectionSetChooser.cpp:
>
> 138, if (Log<LOG_TAGS(gc, liveness)>::is_trace()) should be
> log_is_ebabled instead.
>
> concurrentMark.cpp:
>
> 1754, Log<LOG_TAGS(gc, liveness)>::is_trace() should be log_is_ebabled
> instead.

I changed these and found a few more places where I had used that old
pattern too. Updated all of them.

> g1CollectedHeap.cpp:
>
> G1CollectedHeap::create_aux_memory_mapper(). TracePageSize is not
> converted. Will this be done in a later change?

Yes, I would like to change TracePageSize in a later change since it is
a bit more complex and not purely a GC flag.

> 2721, p2i() could be used instead.

Done.

> Verifying is now printed on the verify tag. I think that when you
> enable verification this tag should be enabled.

Good idea. Again, I think I prefer to do that a separate change.

> 2951, indentation
> 3220, indentation
> 3674, tm5 seems like a strange name
> print_termination_stats_hdr(), I don't think you have to du the check
> in the beginning of this function, it contains just 4 printouts.
> 5713 - should be 1 row, not 2.
> 5729 - should be 1 row, not 2.
> 5740 - should be 1 row, not 2.
> 5750 - should be 1 row, not 2.

Fixed.

> g1GCPhaseTimes.cpp:
>
> 289 - use log_is_enabled() instead
> 301 - use log_is_enabled() instead
> 357 - remove commented out code
> 365 - remove commented out code

Fixed.

> g1_globals.hpp:
>
> 49 - "gc,remset" -> "gc+remset"

Fixed.

> g1StringDedupQueue.cpp
>
> 158-159, indentation
>
> g1StringDedupThread.cpp
>
> 156 - use log_is_enabled() instead
> 158 - use log_is_enabled() instead

Fixed.

> youngList.cpp
>
> 117, indent

Fixed.

> adjoiningGenerations.cpp
>
> Please remove 4 comments inside a call. Rows 170, 186, 212 and 230

Fixed.

> gcTaskManager.cpp
>
> 470-473 indent

Fixed.