RFR (M): JDK-8068394: Trace event for concurrent GC phases

sangheon.kim sangheon.kim at oracle.com
Tue Nov 24 23:20:27 UTC 2015

Hi Bengt again,

On 11/24/2015 10:48 AM, sangheon.kim wrote:
> Hi Bengt,
>
> Thank you so much for reviewing this patch!
>
> On 11/24/2015 05:12 AM, Bengt Rutisson wrote:
>>
>> Hi Sangheon,
>>
>> Sorry for the very late reply to this review request.
>>
>> On 2015-10-22 01:40, sangheon.kim wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> Can I get some reviews for this change of adding a trace event for
>>> concurrent phases on CMS and G1?
>>>
>>> Currently we only measure pause times for major phases.
>>> But I want to add 'concurrent mark' and 'concurrent sweep' phases
>>> for CMS and 'concurrent mark' phase for G1.
>>> To achieve this, I had to change ConcurrentGCTimer and related classes.
>>>
>>> This patch includes:
>>> 1) A concurrent phase can be measured only from ConcurrentGCTimer
>>> and measuring an overlap between concurrent and pause is not allowed
>>> as currently we don't have that use case. And TimePartitions
>>> class(or related classes) will be simpler than an overlap allowed case.
>>> 2) I removed PausePhase and ConcurrentPhase which are derived from
>>> GCPhase because I wanted to avoid heap allocation when adding to
>>> GrowableArray. Instead introduced 'type' member variable at GCPhase.
>>>
>>> CR: https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8068394
>>> Webrev: http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~sangheki/8068394/webrev.00/
>>
>> Nice work! It is great to get some timing information for the
>> concurrent phases.
> Thanks!
>

>> A few questions/comments:
>>
>> CMS.
>>
>> You have added timing events for the concurrent phases mark and
>> sweep, but not for other concurrent phases (preclean,
>> abortable_preclean and reset_concurrent). I think that if you moved
>> your calls to _gc_timer_cm->register_gc_concurrent_start() and
>> _gc_timer_cm->register_gc_concurrent_end() into the constructor and
>> destructor of CMSPhaseAccounting you would automatically get timing
>> events for all concurrent phases.
> I also considered about this idea but I was not clear whether it is
> good measurement especially for 'sweep'.
> We are using CMSPhaseAccounting for 5 cases.
> I think for 'mark' and 'preclean' they are okay. (there are
> non-product functions call before CMSPhaseAccounting. But they are okay).
> For 'abortable-preclean' and 'reset', they are good to have that.
> But when it comes to 'sweep', there are timer and
> CMSTokenSyncWithLocks related codes and I was not sure about these.
Please ignore about CMSTokenSyncWithLocks. I just mis-read the
parenthesis related to that class when I read the source code to answer.
So timer related function calls and some setters are left to consider.
And I think they are okay to ignore as we can get benefit from this
approach, right?

Thanks,
Sangheon