RFR (S): 8136854: G1 ConcurrentG1RefineThread::stop delays JVM shutdown for >150ms

Aleksey Shipilev aleksey.shipilev at oracle.com
Wed Jan 27 15:17:08 UTC 2016

On 01/27/2016 05:37 PM, Tom Benson wrote:
> Was the change tried on a small system to see if startup is actually
> slowed down there, by the much tighter loop consuming CPU? I guess one
> possible answer is "we don't care that much about systems that small for
> G1. "

Another plausible answer would be: 1 ms delay in a polling loop is still
large enough to knock off a thread from a CPU, and small enough to
improve responsiveness.

Anyhow, my lousy 1.7 GHz 2-core ultrabook improved the HelloWorld time
quite significantly with this patch: 210 ms -> 90 ms. Even when I
downclock it to 800 MHz, it still improves: 240 ms -> 200 ms.

Cheers,
-Aleksey