Request for Review (s) - 8157620: Guarantee in run_task(task, num_workers) fails

Thomas Schatzl thomas.schatzl at oracle.com
Tue Jun 7 08:36:54 UTC 2016

Hi Jon,

On Fri, 2016-06-03 at 14:04 -0700, Jon Masamitsu wrote:

> A phase of a G1 collection chooses its own number of GC workers
> but doesn't add more workers if more are needed than have been
> created.   Add additional workers as needed.  Also changed the
> guarantee to check the number of workers against the total number
> of workers since the number of GC workers used to execute the
> task may be different than active_workers (as in this case).
>
> Added an execution of TestGCOld with parameters that evoked the
> failure.
>
> http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~jmasa/8157620/webrev.00/
>
> Tested fix with TestGCOld.
> Stability tested with gc_test_suite

  looks good, with two comments:

- I would _prefer_ if run_task(workgang, uint) always called
add_workers() itself. Otherwise all of these invocations need to call
add_workers() first themselves (if they do not limit themselves to
active_workers).

The run_task(workgang, uint) method has kind of been implemented as a
short/quick way to run a workgang with a given number of threads, so
this requirement adds additional boiler plate code again...

- in the test, maybe put the -Xmx/-Xms right after the @run
main/othervm like in the other tests just for consistency.

---------------------

One comment related to the code changed, but unrelated to this CR: the
code in G1ConcurrentMark::calc_parallel_marking_threads() looks
(almost?) the same as AdaptiveSizePolicy::calc_active_conc_workers().
Any arguments about cleaning this up at some point?

When looking at the calculation of the
AdaptiveSizePolicy::calc_default_active_workers() method, wouldn't it
be better if instead of using Universe::heap()->capacity(), use
something like Universe::heap()->used() (and actually e.g. for g1 one
could subtract young gen and areas covered by primitive arrays too).

Actually, this calculation should be different for young/old gen gc
imho, as for both completely different areas are covered by the
collection... (just some random thoughts when looking at this).