Future of CMS

Jungwoo Ha jwha at google.com
Tue Jun 14 21:50:50 UTC 2016

> But seriously: SAP is supporting CMS and will probably do so for quite a
> long time (simply because we do support old Java releases for a very long
> time).
>

> Completely removing CMS from the HotSpot code base may increase these
> support costs considerably for us.
>
> Do you plan to really delete the sources from the repos or do you only
> plan to disable it at build time?
>

> I just don't know how this is going to play out.  I expect that the
> OpenJDK community
> will want the sources to stay.  In such a case Oracle would want them
> segregated sufficiently
> that we don't build the the sources.
>
> I think only disable it at build time would make it easier for us and
> others to still support it in the future. But in that case we really have
> to come up with a better development model which would allow external
> developers to directly push CMS changes (much like ppc64 or aarch64
> changes). Everything else would be a real PITA.
>

> I think some model like ppc64/aarch64 would be a good way to go.   That
> would be a
> nice side effect of this change.  You know better than I on how to get
> there.

We also need to support CMS perhaps for a long time. I like the idea of
segregating it, and have more external developers contribute to it.
Is there any document or can anyone explain to me how ppc64/arch64 works?
In such case, who is responsible for code review, building, testing,
release and so on?