Parallel reference processingq

sangheon sangheon.kim at oracle.com
Tue Jun 6 20:36:56 UTC 2017

On 06/06/2017 12:51 PM, Kirk Pepperdine wrote:

>> On Jun 6, 2017, at 9:40 PM, sangheon <sangheon.kim at oracle.com
>> <mailto:sangheon.kim at oracle.com>> wrote:

>>> SpecJVM doesn’t represent the real world.
>> Absolutely!
>> I was trying to answer the reason why ParallelRefProcEnabled is set
>> to false as a default.
>
> I got that.. I was trying to suggest that basing this decision on that
> benchmark isn’t a great idea.
Probably my explanation was incomplete.
ParallelRefProcEnabled command-line option was introduced long time ago
with false as a default. And my previous answer with Specjvm2008 was my
guess from recent data when I investigated JDK-8043575. I was saying if
we don't have enough references to process, single thread is better
choice. So this could be the reason of current default value. Or my
guess would be simply wrong. :)

Probably you are saying that we have to use other benchmarks to decide
the default value.
May I ask what is your recommendation for the benchmarks?
I will not try to change its default value but your recommendation would
be helpful for further investigation.

Thanks,
Sangheon