RFR: 8191564: Refactor GC related servicability code into GC specific subclasses

Roman Kennke rkennke at redhat.com
Tue Nov 21 21:37:40 UTC 2017

I had some off-band discussions with Erik Helin and re-did most of the
changeset:
- The GC interface now resides in CollectedHeap, specifically the two
methods memory_managers() and memory_pools(), and is implemented in the
various concrete subclasses.
- Both methods return (by value) a GrowableArray<GCMemoryManager*> and
GrowableArray<MemoryPool> respectively. Returning a stack-allocated
GrowableArray seemed least complicated (avoid explicit cleanup of
short-lived array object), and most future-proof, e.g. currently there
is an implicit expectation to get 2 GCMemoryManagers, even though some
GCs don't necessarily have two. The API allows for easy extension of the
situation.

http://cr.openjdk.java.net/~rkennke/8191564/webrev.01/

I think this requires reviews from both the GC and Serviceability team.

Roman