RFC: JEP: Remove the Concurrent Mark Sweep Garbage Collector

charlie hunt charlie.hunt at oracle.com
Fri Aug 9 19:24:09 UTC 2019

Hi Kirk,

A couple questions ...

Could you expand on this statement?

> [....] the big issue is that I’ve not been able to get the [G1] collector to scale down to the point where it overlaps with the parallel collector. It is this gap that CMS fills.
I am not sure clear on what you mean when you say "scale down to the
point where it overlaps with the parallel collector".

Also, you mentioned PeopleSoft as an example application where you do
not see an alternative collector. Are there other applications you could
mention as an example, or some common characteristics of this/these
kind(s) of application?  I would like to see if we could either run an
existing app or construct something that could exhibit your observation(s).

thanks,

charlie