RFR(S): 8229422: Taskqueue: Outdated selection of weak memory model platforms

Derek White derekw at marvell.com
Thu Aug 15 15:49:37 UTC 2019

Hi Martin,

This is a good area to clean up! I have 2 issues to consider with this patch:

Re - the AArch64 side of things:
Arm retconned the ARMv8 spec [1][2] to decide that multi-copy atomicity was a good idea after all (after checking that no CPU implementations took advantage of this level of weakness).

However, setting CPU_MULTI_COPY_ATOMIC for AArch64 would result in changing behavior (removing fence in taskqueue) that should be looked at and tested by the aarch64 folks, so if Andrew Haley agrees, I suggest deferring changing this AArch64 behavior to a separate issue.

BTW, this could be a nice improvement for AArch64 - Thanks for bringing this up!

	[1] https://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/~pes20/armv8-mca/

Re - the patch generally:

There changes around CPU_NOT_MULTIPLE_COPY_ATOMIC in src/hotspot/share/utilities/globalDefinitions.hpp are not simply a change to GC behavior for S390, but are changing interpreter and compiler behavior arm32 (and maybe Aarch64?).

I believe this change will remove required fences from arm32 interpreter and Jitted code relating to JMM volatile accesses.

In any case I think it should be reviewed beyond the context of hotspot-gc-dev.

Thanks again bringing this up!
 - Derek